- the promotion of the sport internationally;
- managing sailing at the Olympic and Paralympic Games;
- developing the Racing Rules of Sailing and regulations for all sailing competitions;
- the training of judges, umpires and other administrators;
- the development of the sport around the world; and
- representing the sailors in all matters concerning the sport.
The principle members of World Sailing are the 'Member National Authorities' (MNAs) and the 'Class Associations'.
The MNAs are the national governing bodies for sailing around the world and all their contact details are available in the MNA section.
Over 100 Class Associations are members of World Sailing which means they are entitled to hold a World Championship - more information about the different types of boat and board is available in the Classes and Equipment section.